Guide for local government to combat illegal dumping and improper disposal of asbestos
This consultation has now closed.
What’s this consultation about?
We are consulting on the new Guide for Local Government to combat illegal dumping and improper disposal of asbestos. This Guide has been developed for use by staff in local governments who have responsibility for developing and implementing waste management strategies, including illegal dumping of asbestos, as well as staff with responsibility for environmental and community health and safety.
The Guide contains:
- a step-by-step process to design a strategic intervention program
- important principles to follow when designing interventions
- guidance on why and when councils should intervene
- specific ideas for how to prevent illegal dumping and the improper disposal of asbestos.
The Guide has been developed in collaboration with Heartward Strategic, after engagement with local government, through a survey and in-depth interviews conducted from April to July 2022.
Information was gathered from council staff who have responsibility for developing and implementing waste management strategies, including illegal dumping of asbestos.
- Guide for Local Government to combat illegal dumping and improper disposal of asbestos
- Submission template (optional)
How to have your say
This consultation commenced on Friday 2 September 2022 and will run for six weeks closing on Friday 14 October 2022.
Outcome of consultation
Thank you to all those who provided submissions and contributed to the development of this Guide. The Guide has now been published and is available here.