The Commonwealth government has information on Transport of Dangerous Goods on the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts website at https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/infrastructure-transport-vehicles/transport-strategy-policy/transport-australia/transport-dangerous-goods.
Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS): this is an internationally recognised system of labelling and is incorporated into most work health and safety laws in Australia. For more information, see Safe Work Australia’s website and your state/territory health and safety regulator (SafeWork or WorkSafe in your state or territory) (https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/safety-topic/hazards/chemicals/labelling-hazardous-chemicals).
- Air transport requirements: Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA)
- Sea transport: Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA)
- Australia Post – transport through the post requirements: Dangerous & prohibited items
Work health and safety
Work health and safety, environment and public health laws: see your state or territory contacts
- Asbestos is banned in Australia
- Sampling and testing for asbestos
- Permits in very limited circumstances
- Illegal asbestos imports - safety alerts and recalls
Prohibited Goods - asbestos
Australian Border Force: www.abf.gov.au/asbestos