Around Australia, there are a number of non-government organisations who provide asbestos support and advocacy. This includes support for people who have been diagnosed with an asbestos-related diseases and their families.
These organisations are involved in a range of activities, including:
- working to increase awareness of the ongoing risks of asbestos in Australia
- supporting and connecting those with an asbestos-related disease, as well as their families
- promoting medical research into understanding asbestos-related diseases and improving treatment for disease sufferers
- reaching out to tradespeople and apprentices to raise asbestos awareness at work
- advocating for increased funding for programs that assist in limiting exposure, that increase awareness and for medical research.
Organisations generally work within a state or territory, but some work Australia-wide.
Contact details for all the organisations are below, as well as on this website’s contacts pages for each state and territory.
If you believe you have been exposed to asbestos, you can fill out the National Asbestos Exposure Register.
For further information about asbestos and health impacts, you can read this page.
Asbestos Disease Support Society- QLD and National
Asbestosis and Mesothelioma Association of Australia – QLD and NSW
Asbestos Disease Foundation of Australia – NSW and National
Asbestos Disease Research Institute – NSW and National
Asbestos Council of Victoria / GARDS – VIC
Asbestos Disease Society of South Australia – SA
Asbestos Victims Association of South Australia – SA
Asbestos Free Tasmania Foundation – TAS
Reflections Through Reality – WA and National