Coronavirus (COVID-19): If you need information about asbestos safety during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, please see our page here. If you need any general coronavirus information please see the Australian Government website. Asbestos related diseases also affect the respiratory system, just like coronavirus. If you have health concerns call your doctor or call the coronavirus hotline (24/7) - 1800 020 080.

Asbestos in the home

Asbestos in the home


Asbestos was a popular building material in the 20th century. Most buildings constructed – or renovated – between 1945 and 1990 will have used asbestos. 

If your home was built before 1990 it’s safest to assume it has asbestos somewhere. The same general rule applies to farms and rural properties.

Asbestos sheeting and asbestos cement might be found in a wide range of products and places including:

  • cement roofing, gutters and downpipes
  • fencing
  • outbuildings like gardens sheds and kennels, the outdoor toilet
  • cladding for walls and ceilings
  • backing for tiles and kitchen splashbacks
  • underneath carpet or vinyl flooring
  • insulation in roofs and conduits
  • electrical meter boards.

asbestos in the home

How to find out if your home contains asbestos

You can check for the possibility of your property containing asbestos by using the ACM Check app (find in App Store or Google Play).

The Victorian government also has this find and identify asbestos tool.

But you can’t tell if a material contains asbestos just by looking at it. Only scientific testing of a sample can confirm this. So if you think a material might contain asbestos play it safe and treat it like it is until you’ve had it confirmed. Asbestos-containing material that is in good condition poses little harm as long as it is left alone and not disturbed.

You can find out for sure if your home contains asbestos and if it needs to be removed by getting an asbestos assessment done by an asbestos professional. If you don’t own your home you should contact the owner or property manager as a first step.

For more details on engaging an asbestos professional contact the work health and safety regulator in your state or territory.

A major benefit of using an asbestos professional who is qualified in the safe removal and disposal of asbestos is that in the event of an incident you should be covered by the professionals insurance. If you do it yourself, it’s unlikely that your home insurance would cover the associated removal or clean-up costs that would be necessary to prevent further harm to human health.

What rules apply to asbestos in the home?

Dealing with asbestos is the responsibility of the homeowner.

Home improvements can disturb asbestos-containing materials and cause health and safety concerns. 

We all have a duty not to harm those around us. This duty applies everywhere and to everyone.

Asbestos presents a very real health risk if:

  • you renovate without first finding out if your home contains asbestos 
  • if you don’t use asbestos professionals to make it safe or remove it
  • if you work with asbestos material without undergoing specialist training
  • if you work with asbestos material without the proper personal protective equipment and don’t follow safe practice.

There are some simple steps you can take to reduce the risk:

  • know where asbestos could be in your home. If in doubt, get the product tested, or assume it is asbestos
  • if in good condition leave it alone
  • replace it if damaged
  • plan ahead to prevent disturbing and releasing asbestos fibres, especially when renovating
  • engage a licensed asbestos removalist when undertaking major home renovations or demolitions where asbestos might be present.

A home or residence can become a workplace when a tradesperson performs work at the property. This could be for any jobs from painting and electrical work, to full home renovations. This means that work health and safety (WHS) laws apply to the work being carried out. This is the case even if you don’t own the property. The legal duties are placed on the contractor not the home occupier.

Asbestos safety concerns can usually be addressed by contacting your: 

  • local council if the work is being conducted by a neighbour (a home owner or tenant)
  • state or territory work health and safety regulator (e.g. WorkSafe or SafeWork) if work is being carried out by a contractor or tradesperson or you suspect improper removal by professional asbestos removalists
  • local council or state or territory environmental regulator (e.g. EPA) if the concern relates to public areas or illegally dumped asbestos in parks or bushland.

You will find a list of all these contacts for each state and territory on our asbestos safety concerns page.

Asbestos assessors and removal

You will find details on asbestos assessors and removalists by contacting the relevant authority in your state or territory on our asbestos safety concerns page.