Permits in very limited circumstances

Permission to import goods that contain asbestos may only be granted for the purpose of:

  • Research, analysis or display
  • Waste may be imported from an Australian External Territory for disposal in a state or territory.

Permission to export can be granted in a broader range of circumstances.

ASEA administer the process for applying for permission to import or export asbestos or goods containing asbestos. Information regarding the process is below: