Head Start to Safety - Asbestos Awareness Training, High School Students and the Building Industry
The Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency commissioned The Asbestos Diseases Society of South Australia (ADSSA) to engage a researcher to undertake research to assess the effectiveness of asbestos awareness training (AAT) provided to South Australian high school students considering employment in the building and construction industry.
The aims of the research were to investigate whether AAT provided to year 10 and 11 high school students has:
- Increased their awareness of asbestos and asbestos-containing materials (ACM)
- Assisted students to identify probable ACM
- Enhanced their understanding of the health risks associated with asbestos exposure, and
- Improved their knowledge of health and safety measures to prevent exposure to asbestos in the workplace.
Findings from the research have also identified:
- Strengths and limitations of the current AAT program
- Directions for further research
- Implications for AAT in other Australian states and territories