Coronavirus (COVID-19): If you need information about asbestos safety during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, please see our page here. If you need any general coronavirus information please see the Australian Government website. Asbestos related diseases also affect the respiratory system, just like coronavirus. If you have health concerns call your doctor or call the coronavirus hotline (24/7) - 1800 020 080.

Future projections of the burden of mesothelioma in Australia

Date created: Date modified: 21 Feb 2018

The agency commissioned a report that projects there will be approximately 19,400 new cases of mesothelioma in Australia before the end of the century also finds that non occupational exposure to asbestos will overtake exposure from mining, manufacturing and use of asbestos cement. 

The report estimates that 58 per cent of future mesothelioma diagnoses will be attributed to industrial exposures, with the remaining 42 per cent coming from third wave exposures.