Australia was one of the highest per capita users of asbestos in the world. It is therefore appropriate that Australia plays a leadership role in a global campaign aimed at securing a total worldwide ban in the production and trade of asbestos and asbestos-containing products.
Australia continues to play a leadership role in a global campaign for a worldwide ban on asbestos mining and manufacturing.
- Pursue opportunities for improvements in international arrangements for asbestos awareness, management, and a global ban on asbestos mining and manufacturing.
- Proactively share knowledge, tools and information on best practice with other countries and relevant international organisations.
- International issues relating to asbestos and asbestos-related disease are effectively coordinated.
- Australia is recognised as an international voice in the global campaign against asbestos hazards.
- Best practice for awareness, management and eradication of asbestos is shared internationally.